Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sept. 7, 2008. To the toe of the Miyar glacier.


6 AM. I felt poorly at bedtime last night: cold and headachy. Tylenol worked and I slept OK. This morning, the weather is good for a change and I don't have a headache. The planned stage is 5 hours or so today. My camera is working again. Another trekker is on antibiotics for their "chest". L.'s throat is better very quickly. Perhaps I should carry my down jacket today in my day pack. One lesson...don't leave the hydration bladder outside at night: it can freeze. My O2 sat was 93% and pulse 70 last night: good.


6 PM: good day. We left camp about 8:30 AM. The weather was decent and cloudy glacier and peak views. We got to camp about 2:30 PM, with the porters dragging in later. We set up our tents. I took a tylenol about 11 AM and that seems to have prevented an incipient headache from worsening. Not much real elevation gain today. It is about 4000 meters here. We will have a rest day tomorrow. O2 saturation 89 to 90, with heart rate good and low. W. and L. are generally healthy. It rained a bit in the afternoon. I am dirty but otherwise OK. There are amazing, spectacular peaks all around and I am listening to tunes on the iPod.


We passed some major expedition tent ensembles later in the day, just before our campsite. We passed some guys cleaning their underwear. Turns out they are Italian and this fits their black undies. There was a whole phalanx of deluxe tents but no one was home. Some locals told us there were five expeditions in the area including Koreans. There are sheer rock walls everywhere around here that look attactive for big wall climbers. Up at our camp, there is a small set of tents for a couple..we think they are Russians.
Here is a Wikimap image of the toe of the glacier and a link to a larger map you can look around on. The link opens to center near the junction of the Chandrabhaga river (running basically right to left) and the Miyar nala (running "up" to the north). You can move "up" to the glacier, look along it's length, etc. The Kang La is also marked, and the descent glacier is the short one running due north to very slightly northwest.

No comments: