Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sept. 6, 2008. Onward into the fog.




We walked uphill 3 hours in the driving snow. Upon awakening there were odd, very low clouds hovering just above the ground and then upper overcast. As we got started hiking the snow started. It was a real test of outdoor gear, with wet snow just below freezing, and M.F. for example got pretty cold and wet. With extra clothing and a rapid change of clothes upon arriving at camp she did fine but this indicates possible clothing challenges in the future. We stopped 1 hour short of the planned camp. So, a long day tomorrow, perhaps a 5 AM get-up. We will see about the high pass. I am sitting in the tent relaxing after lunch.






4 PM: my camera is broken. Peter has a backup he can lend me. It has a proprietary battery that may be rechargable. It snowed all morning, and is snowing off and on now. My camera did get moisture in the case and I have given it to L.C. to dry out (armpit technique). Maybe it will dry out and reboot. (Of note, it did dry out and re-boot, and performed well for the rest of the trip. Moral: condensation and moisture can be bad for lower-end digital cameras). Tomorrow is supposed to have bad stream crossings and to be pretty easy. Today's going was actually pretty easy, in truth. I should not feel too sorry for myself. L. has a sore throat and started antibiotics. W. has a health challenge and is on medication, and some people's gear is not up to snuff. My gear did pretty well today. Another delicious dinner courtesy of T and the rest of the kitchen crew.

No comments: