Saturday, September 27, 2008

Aug. 28 and 29, 2008. Arrival in Delhi.

Welcome to my blog concerning a fantastic trip to the Indian Himalaya! While this blog was not composed or uploaded in "real time", it is based closely on a diary that I kept in India. Trivia and personal health entries are largely retained to reflect the general tenor of my inner state. The sentences have been edited to make them at least moderately grammatically correct. Certain personal details have been omitted to respect privacy. When in doubt, I hope that I have erred on the side of discretion, although this may reduce the spice level. Trekkers and other interested parties are invited to email me at my main email, viralimm"at"u.washington.edu, with corrections, concerns or comments.

For me, one of the main goals of this trip was langauge study. I am fortunate to have just (June 2008) finished first-year Hindi at the University of Washington, taught by the very able adhyapik P.P. A few langauge notes. I brought my textbook and tried valiantly at the beginning of the trek to do some intellectual study and introduction of complex grammar into my speech. Alas, time-zone transitions, physical exhaustion, and general culture shock largely shot down this good intention. I reverted to my general comfort level and talked, listened, read and even wrote a little. About the only two-part verb I used was सकना (sakna, "to be able to"). I had an interesting debate with T. and the kitchen staff about the approriate gender for "Mujhe bhuk lagta/lagtee hai". I had learned that since भूक (bhuk, hunger) is feminine, the appropriate form is लगती (lagtee), even though "I" have the male gender as the speaker. However, T. insisted that since "I" am male, the proper form was लगता (lagta). Well...does "ko" "block" the subject/verb gender agreement or not? The "thank you" speech to our Indian staff at the Hotel Ibex in Leh took up five double-spaced lines of scribbled Devanagari in my little pink diary. We had Nepali porters for the Miyar Glacier portion of our trek. I found that they largely understood my primitive Hindi. Indian people were invariably polite and helpful, sometimes giving me formal instruction when I would use the wrong verb tense or stumbled for a vocabulary word. Occasionally, someone would comment on my "Urdu" (this happened in Padum). A few of my pictures feature Hindi signs...interesting to me if not you!

Aug 28, 2008. The beginning of my second trek with Project Himalaya, Joel Schone, guide. I am sitting in the lobby of the the Cottage Yes Please. It was a relatively OK trip: 4 1/2 hours Seattle to Newark. 5 hours in Newark (wasted money on lounge; no computers for internet) and then 1 hour taxi in Newark...then finally aloft for a 13-14 hour flight! There were lots of tourists on the flight. Prince was also responsible for transfers for a group of about 20 American college girls going to Dharamsala for about 2 1/2 weeks. It took my small red bag ~ 45 minutes to come off the plane, but all bags are accounted for.

Perhaps the strangest thing about arriving in India is that it is...not strange. It is my 4th trip. A little language helps. It feels strangely normal. Is that normal?


Aug 29, 2008. 7 AM. The hotel is actually pretty much OK. The AC is plenty cold. We'll see if there is hot water or not. I did not sleep a lot but that is to be expected. I cannot believe that I am back! I heard about two big surprises concerning our guide staff, riding in the taxi with Prince and the driver from the airport to the hotel. I have deleted them as they are somewhat personal. But very sad.


7:30 AM: After a shower, shave. Hungry...feel good!


12:45: I am sitting in Government Emporium. I had breakfast with Joel at the Imperial Hotel. This was an incredible experience of luxury, well worth the 20 dollars. Then I walked around Janpath and Connaught Place. I was hounded by touts...nasty. I found Fabindia and bought 2 shirts for about 10 dollars each with my credit card. Then I hunted around for money exchange. Finally I stumbled into the Govt. Emporium, an island of tranquility. The rate I got was 42.2 rupees per dollar, not great but a friendly money changing girl and quite a show of honesty. For example she checked each Indian bill. The prices seem high and my math brain for currency conversion is a bit overstretched. There's a little kiosk a few flights up where I am now sitting and trusting to their hygiene. I am chatting with a German couple who did the Lamayuru to Manali-side trek semi-independently. They just showed up in Lamayuru and interviewed local horsemen who approached them about possible business.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahem, it is adhyapak. I'll put away the green pen now :-)